Back pain is one of the most common ailments affecting our body. Whether it’s minor soreness from overuse or strain, ongoing back pain or more debilitating chronic pain, we want to do everything we can to strengthen the back muscles and avoid stressing the back. Follow these tips below to help your back.
- Always try to use your legs when lifting. Avoid bending at the waist or using your back to lift objects.
- Keep objects as close as possible to your body when lifting.
- When loading items into a car truck or van, get as close as possible and use one knee for support on the bumper. Don’t bend your back or stretch to reach the car.
- When moving heavy objects, try to push them instead of pulling. Use your hips and body weight to push. Try to push objects slightly below the center of gravity.
- For objects on or low to the ground, it is better to get on your hands and knees to push.
- If you must pull an object, avoid rounding your back. Maintain good posture and use your legs and body weight to move the object.
- When carry objects such as groceries, it’s much better to carry two bags. A bag in each hand distributes the load more evenly. Carrying the load on the side of the body increases the load on your back.
- When doing household chores such as vacuuming and sweeping, use your legs and avoid repetitive leans. Follow any repetitive forward bending with either standing or lying down back extensions.
- When working with low objects, avoid prolonged bending or leaning. It’s best to get close to the object or use one arm for support.
- If your back gets tired while shaving, brushing teeth or putting on make-up, use an arm to help support your back.
- Do back and stomach strengthening exercises.
- Get regular spinal checkups.
To maintain good back health, stretch your back regularly. Stretch before going to bed, when you get up in the morning, while sitting at your desk or working on your computer and after any activity that strained the back. Remember to use proper posture and techniques when lifting or moving objects.
Call 480-525-7841 to schedule your free consultation at Foresight Chiropractic, the valley’s premiere Wellness Center. The Doctors are Board Certified Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical specialist, providing precise and gentle care for the entire family.