Great Foods to Help Ease Muscle Soreness
Muscle soreness and stiffness can hit you after taking up a new exercise, increasing the intensity of your exercise, doing yardwork or housework, or even playing with the kids.
The best foods to eat after a workout or physical activity are raw, organic whole foods containing healthy amounts of carbs and protein and low sugar. Some of the best foods shown to soothe muscle soreness and promote muscle recovery and growth include:
1. Cacao —Cacao has high levels of antioxidants, magnesium and B vitamins that help reduce bodily stress, balance electrolytes and boost energy levels. Antioxidants in cacao help boost the production of nitrous oxide in your body, which causes your blood vessel walls to relax and open, thereby lowering your blood pressure. Arugula and other leafy greens are also great sources of healthy nitrates.
2. Eggs — Protein is the essential building block of muscles, and adding eggs to your post-workout eating plan may help reduce muscle soreness. Always choose organic, free range eggs.
3. Ginger and cinnamon —Research has shown that ginger and cinnamon provide anti-inflammatory benefits to sore muscles.
4. Green tea —Green tea is abundant in anti-inflammatory antioxidants. It also helps with hydration, which is vital for training and recovery.
5. Manuka honey — Manuka honey is a potent anti-inflammatory that helps to suppress exercise-induced inflammation in the body. It's also rich in carbohydrates, which are needed to refill glycogen stores and deliver protein to your muscles.
6. Nuts and seeds — Organic nuts and seeds are a healthy source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, which fight inflammation. They also provide protein for muscle synthesis and growth, electrolytes to promote hydration and zinc to boost immunity.
7. Wild salmon — Wild Alaskan salmon is a great source of anti-inflammatory animal-based omega-3 fats. Plus, it’s packed with lean protein, which is an important component for muscle restoration and building. Always choose wild-caught and avoid all farmed salmon.
8. Spinach — Spinach is an antioxidant powerhouse known to fight free radical damage in your body. Spinach also contains magnesium, which helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, among other benefits. Be sure to choose organic.
9. Sweet potatoes or yams — Eating organic sweet potatoes or yams after exercise is a great way to replenish glycogen in your body. Also, they are great sources of beta carotene and vitamin C — antioxidants that support your immune system and help reduce oxidative stress.
10. Tart cherries — Tart cherries have been shown to improve athletic performance, endurance and recovery, as well as reduce post-exercise inflammation and pain. Tart cherries and cherry juice also help relieve and prevent arthritis and gout.
11. Turmeric — Turmeric contains the powerful antioxidant to help lower your risk of injury and improve muscle performance recovery. Curcumin from turmeric is poorly absorbed in the body so find a supplement to increase your intake.
Along with healthy food choices, chiropractic care will help reduce and remove stress from the nervous system by aligning the spine. Removing stress from the body helps muscles to relax and the body to function optimally aiding in endurance and recovery. For more ways to optimize your health through Nutrition, Exercise, Chiropractic Care, BEMER therapy, call 480-325-6977 for a free consultation. The Doctors are Board Certified Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical specialist serving the community for over 18 years.