Have you been noticed memory issues or diminished mental capacity in yourself or someone you care about? Does dementia or Alzheimer’s run in your family?
Quality of life is critically linked to brain health. As we age, most people expect diminishing capacity. But does it really have to happen unchecked, or can we slow down that aging process by taking healthy steps along the way as we get older?
The science of Epigenetics tells us we do have the ability to determine how most of our genes express. Epigenetics tells us that our external environment and our lifestyle are important determining factors in what genes get “turned on or off.” So, you do have the power to influence the outcome of your future and that of your family.
This is great news! So, what can you do to help control your health outcomes, even if chronic illnesses tend to run in your family? The therapies, treatments and lifestyle choices listed below provide positive impacts to your brain health:
1) Chiropractic care – especially precise and gentle Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical technique. Gentle adjustments to align the spine and keep each vertebra more mobile helps in reducing stress on the nerves. This allows the nerves to function optimally, communicating with the brain and every other system in the body. Migraines, brain fog, memory issues, headaches, and neck and shoulder pain can occur when the cervical spine is out of alignment. Chiropractic adjustments help!
2) Enhance blood flow with BEMER vascular therapy supports brain health. BEMER is a wellness device used in Europe for over 23 years and is now available in the US. It is an FDA class II cleared medical device available for use in our wellness center and for home use. This easy-to-use program affects microcirculation, which is 74% of our entire circulatory system, increasing blood flow in the capillaries, nutrients and oxygen to the cells and assisting with the removal of metabolic waste. This promotes healthy aging, increased energy, stamina, rest and relaxation, physical performance, and quicker recovery. Optimized blood flow means a healthier, happier mind and body.
3) Eat Well and minimize fast-food and processed foods with chemical additives. Increase your intake of organic produce and grass-fed meats whenever possible. Be conscious of your choices and reduce highly processed carbs and sugary foods. Choose healthy fats such as olive, avocado, and coconut oils. Junk food is toxic. Drink more water!
4) Whole food supplements are a necessity to counter the environmental pollutants we ingest every day. Our modern and convenience-based diet makes it nearly impossible to get all the nutrients your body requires. We recommend high-quality Omega 3 fish oil, Vitamin D3, Probiotics, Whole Food multi vitamins and minerals, and digestive enzymes every day.
5) Exercise daily. A 20-minute walk provides great brain health benefits. You don’t need to spend hours in the gym or playing competitive sports. Park your car farther away from the door, and take the steps rather than the elevator. Get outside and enjoy fresh air and sunlight.
6) Quality sleep is critical to allow your body to regenerate and detox the brain. Sleep is equally important for infants, children, teens, and adults. The research teaches us that while we sleep, the neural processes associated with learning and memory are
strengthened. This is very important for brain health.
7) Fun and relaxation. Find ways to de-stress through comedy, music, meditation,prayer, and family and friend time. Walk on the beach or in a park. Sing and clap your hands! Do puzzles. Play the piano.
You can embrace a healthy lifestyle and higher quality of life by adding positive and healthy behaviors into your day. For personalized assistance and support with your health plan, call 480-325-6977. Ask about our complimentary wellness workshops and schedule a free consultation with our Board-Certified Atlas Orthogonal specialist. Dr. Keith Lavender is also a Certified Wellness Doctor and Advanced Muscle Integration Technique practitioner.
Experience for yourself the benefits of BEMER, Atlas Orthogonal chiropractic care, massage therapy, nutritional guidance, healthy diet and exercise, and sports therapy offered at the Valley’s premier Wellness Center in Gilbert, Arizona. Call today -- and age with grace, energy and happiness.