Concussion Awareness for Young Athletes and Parents
As the calendar flips to August, students are getting back to school and playing sports. It’s a good time to review your knowledge of concussions and how they can impact young athletes.
School-age athletes are suffering concussions at an accelerating rate. At Foresight Chiropractic Wellness Center, we believe it’s critical that parents, coaches and athletes understand how best to prevent, recognize and treat concussions. There are three steps to building awareness:
1. Understand the Signs and Symptoms
Concussions are most often caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head. A concussion can also occur from a blow to the body that causes the head to move rapidly back and forth. Concussions can range from mild to severe and disrupt the way the brain normally works. Signs and symptoms of concussion can show up after the injury or can take days or weeks to appear and may include:
· Nausea or vomiting
· Balance problems
· Double or fuzzy vision
· Sensitivity to light or noise
· Feeling groggy, foggy or sluggish
· Concentration or memory problems
· Nervousness or anxiety
2. Seek Medical Attention at the First Signs
The Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommends a 4-step action plan if an athlete is suspected of having sustained a concussion.
1. Remove the athlete from play if any symptoms appear.
2. Evaluate the individual by a health care professional experienced in concussion analysis.
3. Inform the athlete’s parents or guardians about the possible concussion and provide information about concussions.
4. Keep the athlete out of play until a health care professional, experienced in evaluating for a concussion, says they are symptom-free and it’s okay to return.
3. Establish the Athlete’s Brain Health Baseline
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): “Baseline tests are used to assess an athlete’s balance and brain function, as well as for the presence of any concussion symptoms. Results from baseline tests (or pre-injury tests) can be used and compared to a similar exam conducted by a health care professional during the season if an athlete has a suspected concussion.”
Locally in Phoenix, Foresight Wellness in Gilbert is pioneering the use of the ClearEdge Brain Testing Toolkit, which provides a suite of separate testing applications and questionnaires to efficiently measure subtle changes in balance and cognitive function objectively and reliably. The assessment should be a vital part of a young athlete’s preparation for playing sports and absolutely after an injury has occurred.
For more information about Clear Edge Brain Testing, call Foresight Chiropractic at 480-325-6977, the Valley’s preferred Wellness and Sports Center. Brain health for our children is critical; missteps can set a child up for a lifetime of chronic illnesses. Call today for a complimentary consultation and learn about gentle Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical chiropractic and brain health.