Concussion Awareness for Young Athletes and Parents
As the calendar flips to September, students are back to school and playing organized sports -- football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, running.
It’s important for athletes and their parents to understand that school-age athletes are suffering concussions at an accelerating rate. At Foresight Chiropractic Wellness Center, we believe it’s critical that parents, coaches and athletes understand how best to prevent, recognize and treat concussions. We recommend a 3-Step Plan:
1. Know the Signs and Symptoms
Concussions are caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head. A concussion can also occur from a blow to the body that causes the head to move rapidly back and forth. They can range from mild to severe and can disrupt the way the brain normally works. You cannot see a concussion. Signs and symptoms of concussion can show up right after the injury or can take days or weeks to appear and may include:
· Nausea or vomiting
· Balance problems
· Double or fuzzy vision
· Sensitivity to light or noise
· Feeling groggy, foggy or sluggish
· Concentration or memory problems
· Nervousness or anxiety
2. Seek Medical Attention
If an athlete is suspected as having sustained a concussion, implement the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommended 4-step action plan:
1. Remove the athlete from play. When in doubt, keep the athlete out of play.
2. Ensure the athlete is evaluated by a health care professional experienced in evaluating for a concussion.
3. Inform the athlete’s parents or guardians about the possible concussion and give them a fact sheet on concussions.
4. Keep the athlete out of play until a health care professional, experienced in evaluating for a concussion, says they are symptom-free and it is okay to return to play
3. Establish the Athlete’s Brain Health Baseline and Test After Head Injury
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): “Baseline tests are used to assess an athlete’s balance and brain function, as well as for the presence of any concussion symptoms. Results from baseline tests (or pre-injury tests) can be used and compared to a similar exam conducted by a health care professional during the season if an athlete has a suspected concussion.”
Locally in the Phoenix area, Foresight Chiropractic, the Valley’s premier Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical Wellness Center, is pioneering the use of the Clear Edge Brain Health Toolkit, which provides a suite of separate cognitive and balance testing applications and questionnaires to efficiently measure subtle changes in function objectively, quantitatively and reliably. The assessment should be a vital part of a young athlete’s preparation for playing sports. Clear Edge is FDA Compliant, has objective data and reporting, and is consistently reliable, complete, efficient and cost effective. The Doctors at Foresight Wellness are Board Certified upper cervical specialists utilizing Clear Edge Brain Testing and BEMER Therapy as part of their TBI recovery protocol. For more information, call 480-325-6977.