The majority of Americans spend 90% of their food budget on processed foods, which contain a wide range of artificial food additives, preservatives, colors and flavor enhancers. More than 10,000 additives are allowed in our food, and that also includes additives from packaging that can migrate to your food.
Even common food additives can’t be healthy, right?
Your health can suffer as a consequence of these chemical toxins in your body from your food supply. Despite the widespread use, the safety of many food additives is questionable. Only a small percentage of additives have been properly tested or officially approved by the U.S Food and Drug Administration.
New studies are shedding light on the harmful effects of the numerous chemicals and additives in food. Even small amounts of chemicals when combined can amplify the adverse effects on your health.
Food Additives to Avoid
· Sodium Nitrate is commonly found in processed meats including hot dogs, deli meat, and sausage. In the presence of heat, nitrates and nitrites can become carcinogenic.
· Artificial Colors. Nine approved food dyes are linked to health issues including cancer, hyperactivity and allergy-like reactions.
· Potassium Bromate, commonly used in flour, is linked to kidney and nervous system damage, thyroid problems, cancer and intestinal discomfort.
· Sodium Benzoate, found in acidic foods like salad dressing, soda, fruit juices, pickles and condiments, is linked to hyperactivity.
· Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) has been linked to tumor development in animals.
· Phosphates, added to more than 20,000 products including fast food, baked goods, and processed meats, are linked to heart disease.
· Natural and Artificial Flavors. Some natural flavors include BHA or propylene glycol, a solvent.
· Aluminum Additives. This metal can accumulate and persist in your body, especially in your bones. Studies show aluminum may cause neurological effects including changes in behavior, learning and motor response and possibly Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
Food Additives can wreak havoc on your nervous system. Every cell, tissue, and organ in your body is controlled by the nervous system. Take care of your spine so it can take care of you. The doctors at Foresight Chiropractic Wellness Center are board certified Atlas Orthogonal upper cervical specialists and Certified Wellness Practitioner providing gentle and precise care to families for over 15 years. For more information on how you can optimize your health, call 480-325-6977 for a free consultation.